Our F-Word book group petred out a while back, but I’m sure there are plenty of readers out there who’d be interested in something similar.
The book group will read and discuss books which fall into at least one of these categories:
1) Written by a feminist and/or a woman
2) Aims to advance women’s rights and/or gender equality
3) Looks at the intersection of gender with race, class, sexuality, (dis)ability, ethnicity, trans identity, nationality, etc.
4) Has a strong female character as one of the main characters and/or contains several female characters
5) Sparks conversations about social justice and gender equality, without necessarily adhering to one of the aforementioned criteria
I want to welcome folks even if they don’t have time to read every book, engage in all discussions, and write for the group blog. If you can participate heavily one month, but need to work on your thesis or a job transition or life drama the next month, there is no pressure to keep up the same level of engagement. If all you can ever do is read along and follow the discussion, then that’s fine too. As long as you’re getting something out of it, then you are a book club member, in my eyes. That said, I certainly hope that at least some of you will be ready and willing to be more active than that, or else we’ll all be reading books in silence and it would defeat the purpose of the book club. =)