The weekly round-up of news and posts we have missed.
We can’t always blog about the stories in the news that catch our collective eyes, so here is this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of those we missed. They are links and blog posts that we found interesting, thought-provoking or newsworthy, rather than necessarily things we agree with.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
- OCCUPY WALL STREET: The Game of Colonialism and further nationalism to be decolonized from the “Left” (Racialicious)
- Battle of the Breast vs. Bottle Just Got Snarkier (Fearless Press)
- Sexism’s Low-Grade Fever (The American Prospect)
The mothers abandoned to postnatal depression (Guardian) …and also this critique: Are GPs failing new mothers with postnatal depression? (Margaret Maccartney)
- British passport forms to get same-sex parents option (BBC)
- A blogger initiative across October to create awareness about Violence Against Women & to disseminate information about the issue.
- Mom, don’t read this (Skepchick)
- Myth Busting Monday – ‘Nearly 10% of all mental health problems are directly attributable to abortion’ (Education for Choice)
- Short open letter to Teresa May (Cruella Blog)
- Heroes, bumblers, and patriarchs: Fathers on Doctor Who (Global Comment)
- River Song’s chronology on Doctor Who naturally, SPOILERS! (io9.com)
- Amanda Knox acquittal: The persistence of Italian stereotypes in the British press (Giulio Sica)
- How running gave me the courage to heal (Fit and Feminist)
- A review of access to NHS gender reassignment services (EHRC)
- Men Photographed in Stereotypical Pin-Up Poses (Peta Pizel)
- The women problem: David Cameron’s issues go deeper than casual rudeness (Guardian)
- Stupid shoes and the myth of “tone” (Pandagon)
- Oral Sex May Cause More Throat Cancer Than Smoking in Men, Researchers Say (Bloomberg)
- Picture this (D for Dalrymple)
- Love me, love my chin hairs (xoJane)
- Canola, it’s like rape (Large blooming flower)
- ‘Tiny needles were stuck into my fingers and I was electrocuted‘: Victim of Baptist gay conversion therapy describes how he was tortured at 12 (Daily Mail)
- “real women” (Hanne Blank)
- Tribute to Madeleine Simms
The Pink List 2011: Tell us your LGBT heroes
- “Steve Job’s last legacy, Siri, the virtual female personal assistant, leaves behind a deep rooted sexism in the gendered way test markets show consumers want to be supported in everyday life.” (The Star)
- Only the lean shall inherit the political earth these days (Guardian)
- Why equality is a distant dream: Girls, boys and the real differences between them (The Independent)
And also Channel 4 News:
[Image at top of post is of a sign on someone’s back, saying ‘Feminism: Back by popular demand’. Photo is by me.]