A collection of the items we couldn’t include during the last week.
Here’s this week’s open thread and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had the time or capacity to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
As always, linking does not imply endorsement.
- Egyptian women cane morality police (Bikyamasr)
- Topshop Boycott: A Sister Act That is Well Overdue (Huffington Post)
- Immigration does not cause unemployment (Independent)
- Future Sex: Beyond Gay and Straight (Peter Tatchell at the Huffington Post)
- Under Duress: Agency, Power and Consent, Part One: “No” (A Radical Trans Feminist)
- Workfare… welcome to the nightmare (HarpyMarx)
- Breast implants: Welsh NHS to replace privately-fitted PIP implants (BBC News Wales Politics)
- PIP breast implants: Women march on private clinics (BBC News Health)
- “Blue” feminism: a disaster for social justice (Another angry woman blog)
- Zoo Real Girls (Pandora Blake – n.b. blog Not Safe for Work!)
- The Correct Response To Sexual Harassment (WomansWeb)
- Almost half of domestic violence victims will not be eligible for legal aid under proposed new legislation (Refuge)
- Why women don’t run for office (as much as men do) (Mother Jones)
- Margaret Cho Rightfully Loses her Shit! (Jezebel)
- Welfare cuts: Cameron’s problem is that people are nicer than he thinks (Guardian)
- The beginning of the end for the mademoiselle? (BBC)
- Network of Women in Media – member news 2011 (NWIM)
- @Lexcanroar posted a short video, partly about street harassment. Then came the backlash. As she reported on twitter: “men are ACTUALLY commenting on my video saying “we can’t help sexually harassing women, it’s our hormones”
- Foetus parties: Womb with a view? (BBC)
- Can men be feminists? (New Statesman)
- Gender, Privilege, and Political Blogging (Bright Green)
- The Fat Trap (New York Times)
Shit Straight Girls say… to Lesbians:
And… Shit Straight Girls say… to Lesbians (U.S. version):
[Image of various feminist ephemera taken by me.]