This week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about
Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
CONTENT WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- France expands access to abortion (France24)
- Teachers condemn ‘raunch culture’ for fuelling sexism under the guise of irony and empowerment (Independent)
- Tweeter exposes Osborne’s “ill informed rubbish” (Liberal Conspiracy)
- Philpott verdict: Blame the man, not his class (Independent)
- Was this tragedy really a “vile product” of Welfare UK? (New Statesman)
- Vile Product: Mick Philpott & our cosy acceptance of male violence (It’s Not A Zero Sum Game)
- ‘Gay? Prove it then – have you read any Oscar Wilde?’: Judges accused of asking lesbian asylum seekers inappropriate questions (Independent)
- “The revolution starts in the ATOS smoking area” – on welfare, addiction, and dependency (libcom.org)
- Video: FEMEN anti-sex industry protest video; they are seen shoving/pushing a woman sex worker (Via @femwho)
- Polly Neate comments on the Mick Philpott case and the domestic violence he perpetrated for over 30 years (Women’s Aid)
- Ruth Prawer Jhabvala’s Stories (New Yorker)
- Reports of Mick Philpott’s awful crime omit the phrase ‘domestic violence’ (Guardian, Cif)
- Video: Tenants’ group plan bedroom tax boycott as hundreds rally (Manchester Mule)
- Open Letter to the Telegraph (Diary of a Benefit Scrounger)
- Martine White is a product of British welfare, not Mick Philpott (Guardian, Cif)
- Muslim women send message to Femen (The Stream, Al Jazeera English)
- Finally, a tablet simple enough for a woman to use </sarcasm> (Ars Technica, Gear & gadgets)
- The Philpott case shows us that the welfare state is our better self (New Statesman, Voices)
- Enough With Sexist Lena Dunham Click Bait (Slate, XXfactor)
- An open letter to FEMEN (Voices Of Revolution)
- Ableism on the Left is Still Ableism (Disability and Representation)
- Campus Progress (The Media’s ‘Crazy’ Problem)
- Mrs Justice Thirlwall: the one woman Philpott couldn’t defeat (Independent, Voices)
- Misogyny, Sexism, And Why RPS Isn’t Shutting Up (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
- Content warning: descriptions of disablist and homophobic violence: Steven Simpson’s Death Should Not Be Dismissed (Marxist Queen)
- Benefits in Britain: separating the facts from the fiction (Guardian, Politics)
Image attribution and description: The image at the head of this post is called Spiral. It is from mag3737’s Flickr photostream and is used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license.