Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
Content note: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
Don’t shoot the messenger clause: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- Specificity (this ain’t livin’)
- The Moral Philosopher and His Illicit International Affairs (Protecting Lisbeth)
- We need to talk about structural racism (Open Democracy)
- Transgender people shouldn’t have to fight for the right to get a new ID (Guardian, Cif)
- On women who lie about having boyfriends (Free Thought Blog)
- River Island takes ‘anti-nag gag’ off sale after sexism complaints (Guardian, Business)
- The forgotten army of over-50s women, whose unemployment has jumped by 45% since 2010 (Independent, News)
- Oxford Union President Ben Sullivan is arrested on suspicion of rape (Independent)
- High Court in London says NI women not entitled to free NHS abortions in England (BBC News)
- White feminist stories in The Guardian (between the lines)
- Dear Exclusionary Mainstream Feminist (Black Feminists)
- HRC Study Shows Majority of LGBT Workers Closeted on the Job (HRC Blog)
- Austria’s Conchita Wurst fends off transphobia before the Eurovision Song Contest (The Daily Dot)
- The Internet bought my vagina (The Daily Dot)
- I Hear Them Breathing: Trans women, prison, and the limits of tolerance (Feministing)
- Liberating The Black Female Body: Thoughts On The Voices Of bell, Janet, Shola and Marci (Gradiet Lair)
- Sargeant pledges to stop grant over domestic abuse (Inside Housing)
- #Bringbackourgirls and the complexities of attention (Medium)
- 13-Year-Old Girl Can Make Abortion Decision, High Court Rules (Huffington Post UK)
- Approaching conferences from a different angle (Satifice)
- A Mandatory Love for Babies (Teen Skepchick)
- It’s different for girls (Heidi Roizen)
- Does Helping Out Around The House Mean You’ll Have A Lousy Sex Life? (Cognoscenti)
- A boy or a girl or a person – intersex people lack recognition in Europe (Human Rights Comment)
- National newspapers admit they were wrong to report on gender status of Dr Kate Stone after New Year’s stag attack (The Drum)
- How Internet Trolls Improved My Self Esteem (Skepchick)
- There’s Still Nothing Remotely Honorable About Honor Killings, As These Stories of Betrayal and Murder Attest (Friendly Atheist, Patheos)
- Why I Refused to Put a Shirt on for Shape Magazine (Huffington Post)
- Bad Chart Thursday: Grinding the Axes of Privilege – Racism Edition (Skepchick)
- Content note: rape/abuse/death threats Twitter: Optimised For Abuse (Week Woman)
- Content note: rape ‘I get it, Mr Zuma. Really I do’ (Hilary Alexander)
Image attribution and description: The image at the head of this post is called Fisherman’s Rest. It was found at Mark Robinson’s Flickr photostream and is used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic license.
The image is a photo of a weathered timber telegraph pole against a blue sky. The pole supports three cables and there are five seabirds (cormorants?) perched on the wires.