Difficult to know how much to read into a few (hundred) posts on twitter. First I should briefly explain a concept to unfamiliar readers:
Members of Twitter (and there are loads) post up short messages about themselves or general stuff which appear next to their name. My name on the system is “Cruella1” so for instance I might “tweet” about what I’m doing:
(1) Cruella1 has just finished her lunch and is thinking about going to the park.
or about something I’m trying to draw attention to
(2) Cruella1 has just written a blog post http://cruellablog.blogspot.com/ #feminism
or I might reply to someone else’s Tweet
(3) Cruella1 @jester thanks for the advice!
or I might join in a discussion already happening on Twitter
(4) Cruella1 #cornypickuplines do you work in subway? cos you’ve got me a foot long…
Now I need to explain a bit of etiquette – the @jester in (3) means I’m talking to someone (jester – that’s Jess McCabe your lovely editor), and the #feminism in (2) and #cornypickuplines (4) are basically search terms. So I know people will go on Twitter looking for info about feminism and I want to direct them to my blog via (2). Also I notice other people I know are having a general chat about corny pick-up lines and I want to join in (4). You can click on these #-terms to see all “tweets” that mention them.
Anyway right now there is very popular #-search term with hundreds of “tweets” including it called #liesgirlstell. And I guess I should warn you that some of these comments might be triggering for some people. I won’t name and shame who made these “tweets” but I was quite shocked at the level of disdain and hatred for women revealed…
#liesgirlstell: I’m not a slut, I juss like sex
#liesgirlstell “I don’t f*ck on the first date”
#liesgirlstell im a virgin
#liesgirlstell I am low maintenance
#liesgirlstell I didn’t get pregnant so you would marry me
#liesgirlstell “I’m strippin to pay for college” (b!tch you are 49!! Your turn is OVER!)
#liesgirlstell “i’m on my period”
#liesgirlstell i am capable of having an intellegent conversation with another human being
#liesgirlstell “i dont want your money”
#liesgirlstell I’m not a hoe
#liesgirlstell IVE NEVER DONE IT TRU THE ASS
#liesgirlstell Kobe raped me.
I don’t know what I’m more horrified by – is it:
1) The fact that there are thousands of people happily joining in this debate as though it’s normal and funny to make jokes about women being prone to dishonesty (look at all the politicians, most men, lying about everything from war to duck islands!),
2) The repeated suggestion that women who have and enjoy sex are bad/evil/disgusting
3) That bizarre comment in the middle about women not being able to hold intelligent conversations where the author himself can’t even spell “intelligent”…!
4) The disgusting rape denier at the end.
But suffice as to say sadly that is the world we all live in. And to think some people think we don’t need feminism!