TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains hyperlinks to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as we have no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
- Film about the invention of the vibrator (The Guardian)
- A woman has been put in prison for “falsely retracting” allegation that her husband raped her (The Guardian)
- Patient too shocked to complain about genital surgery, jury told (news.com.au)
- Equal Love campaign against the ban on het civil partnerships / homosexual marriages is launched (Equal Love)
- Ann Widdecombe is not a national treasure, she’s a very nasty woman (Martyn Norris blog)
- Itchy genitals? There’s an app for that… (Wired)
- The Arab myth of western women (The Guardian)
- An Open Letter to Wired Magazine Cindy’s Take on Tech blog)
- Cameron team wears poppies in China (Madam Miaow Says blog)
- Daily Mail Exclusive: Woman Looks Older Than She Did 21 Years Ago (Tabloid Watch blog)
- Why Bikes for Girls is a Lifechanging Concept in Africa (Video) (TreeHugger)
- ‘Call Of Duty’ Acknowledges Existence Of Female Gamers (Jezebel)
- Too much sex in the city, say London’s councils (BBC London news)
- Islam and Abortion: A Woman’s Life is the Greatest Priority (Reality Check)
- Feminist gathering sadly lacking in matricide (Jezebel)
- To Write Love on Her Arms 2010 (My Private Casbah blog) TRIGGER WARNING for discussions around depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide
- Oooh…How EDGY! (Shakesville)
- Rape defendant anonymity officially dropped (BBC News)
- Islam Channel censured by Ofcom (The Guardian)
- Re/action magazine launches first issue (Sarah Dobbs’s Words & Monsters)
- Homeless charity closed (The Shepherd’s Bush Blog)
- Myth-busting Monday: ‘The Catholic church has always prohibited abortion’ (Education For Choice)
- Topless Feminist Group Is Gaining Attention, Controversy in Ukraine (Jakarta Globe)
ETA: Added trigger warnings.
ETA: One link removed at author’s request.