Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains hyperlinks to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- A Little Less Day-Glo, or Goodbye Poly Styrene (Bad Reputation)
- Punk icon Poly Styrene dies at 53 (BBC News)
- Voting for Saudi women? (Al Arabiya News)
- Muslims to be able to ‘poco-poco’ in Malaysia. Middle East next? (Al Arabiya News)
- The children who hate their bodies: How half of six-year-old girls think they’re fat and how parents can stop this dangerous obsession (Mail Online via istyosty)
- Recession Seen Taking Toll on Gender Equality (New York Times)
- Bearings & Bruises (FATquarter)
- Muslimah Media Watch Roundtable: Jonah Goldberg’s Feminist Concerns (Racialicious)
- US folk singer Phoebe Snow dies at 60 (BBC News)
- The Evolution Of April O’Neil (Jezebel)
- The Women of Deaffinity (Muslimah Media Watch)
- Electro Feminisms: An Interview with Cooly G (Bitch Magazine)
- Historic STD posters (San Francisco City Clinic)
- Trans Etiquette 101: No Offense, But That’s Offensive (Autostraddle)
- Australia defence sex scandal cadets charged (BBC News)
- Feminists don’t think all men are rapists. Rapists do. (A Division by Zer0)
- Dear Rapist… (Guardian Society)
- Blogging Against Disablism Day 2011 (Diary of a Goldfish)
- Assembly candidates ‘woeful’ on women issues says group (BBC Wales)
- How a Leftie feminist like me fell in love with this fairytale romance (London Evening Standard)
- Joanna Russ (1937-2011) (Ambling Along the Aqueduct)
- From Royal Wedding to Royally Screwed: Lesbian kisses could be banned to late night TV in UK (eurOut)
I think there’s really only one music video I could post to close this week’s round-up thread: X-Ray Spex Oh Bondage! Up Yours! which featured Poly Styrene. (If you haven’t already done so, I’d really recommend checking out her last album, Generation Indigo)
“I think that gender equality is down to the individual performer, I mean there are a lot more girls in bikinis looking sexy in videos, I don’t think that’s gender equality myself – but if you write good songs and you’re prepared to get up and sing them then gender equality has improved over the last 30 years.” [Poly Styrene, Flux Magazine]
[Public domain image The Earth seen from Apollo 17 via Wikipedia]